Saturday, February 19, 2011

Get Running!


I took, what felt like, my first "real" run yesterday. It was the first beautiful day after weeks, no, months, of snow and ice. Everyone must have felt the same way, there were lots of runners and joggers in the park with me.
This was a liberating kind of run, and when I was done, I could tell that there was a lot more to what I had just done than put some sneakers on.
I can't remember ever loving running. In fact, I've despised it, for a long, long time. At the same time, I've admired all of those people I see on the roads, running with such grace. I love being outside, and I've wanted to run like them, but it just was a "no" - in my mind -always. Then, the first nice day comes about and there I am, SO excited to hit the blacktop. What happened? I still don't know the exact trigger, but what I do know is that little 45 minute run was one of the best things I've felt in a long time. I felt every muscle in my body, every nerve, and it was amazing. The sensation was overwhelming.
My friends encouraged me to use one of the new applications to start into my new-found mysterious torture, and they were SO right. Having a little "trainer" on my Ipod was exactly what I needed. Without my music, the beauty of the park and that little trainer's voice, I don't know that I would have been able to finish the first day's training.
After 45 minutes I was done, I was sweating a bit, my face was bright red and I was out of breathe. I felt like jello. But I wanted to keep moving, so I just kept walking. I cried and laughed and thanked every part of my body for helping me complete my first day of a "real" run.
Truth be told, after all of these years, I can run. I just told myself that I didn't want to, that I wasn't good at it and despised it - that's that the part that held me back, my own mind. Of course, I won't say this was easy. Yes, I can walk a good 10 miles if I want to -and I love it. But running, well, it's going to take some time. I did love how it made me feel. I can't wait to hit the road again tomorrow. Looking forward to the pain, and proving my thoughts wrong.
Ps - did I mention my first 5K is in May?  :)

A few of my Etsy finds for the running theme :)











1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for including my runner ID tags, and glad you had a great run. I used to run, and would like to get back to it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post your comments here!