Monday, March 9, 2009

Paths


This weekend we had some amazing weather - so, like most families, we too FULL advantage! Getting out in the sun and airing ourselves out was the perfect was to spend time together...
first off, a full day at the beach... we played in the sand, walked the boardwalk, dined by the sea and took in all of the fresh seawater we could. I actually made my daugther draw in the sand - so did she really know I was getting her to exfoliate those adorable little hands??? not sure, but she loved it! and so did her skin! :)
Next, we hit the park, fed the geese, a few goats and got a glimpse of a horse. Usually, any of these furry little creatures are quite anxious to see a human soul - we = food. But not on this day. Even our four legged friends just wanted to soak up some sun (and well, by time we got there they were stuffed from every other human throwing food at them!).
Last stop of our day - the slide. Of course, my daugther has to get her slide time in - and boy did we ever! We were there for a good hour, just sliding away.

Vitamin D intake for the day = 100%!

Day two - time change! Up and out early with my daughter to find the tow path. I can always see it from the river, it's this pretty little path that has been there for ages... Mules and barges worked there for years - a LONG time ago - they found it, they made it! For crying out loud, it's 2009, I had to be able to get to this place- no mule needed!!! I was determined - and viola', we were there! After a bit of rough terrain (and thank goodness for my BOB, the best all-terrain jogging stroller a mom can have!!!), we were there... on a beautiful golden sandy path just a few feet wide, sandwiched between an old workers' canal and the river. The sun was perfectly positioned between the low hanging branches of the trees and shrubs. It was a perfect day. I stopped clocking the miles after a while. I even took off the Ipod and just listened to it all - the beauty. Of course, a few miles into it, splashing through some water, bouncing over the stones and rock, driving uphill and slipping through the sandy path, my perfect little cherub was out cold. No nature appreciation for her , well, not for now. A little movement gets her sleepy.

Finally, I decide it's time to turn around - I've hit what seems to be another town ! Oddly enough the desire to just jog part of it comes over me, and so , I jog. The geese are playing in the water, one without a partner - getting bullied. I stop, talk to her and give her my daugther's animal crackers - does she really need them anyway? I may not see the goose again; my daughter has a whole bucket of these things at home! I passed just a sprinkling of homes along the way - hidden little gems I would have never known even existed. One day, we too will live in a hidden place of beauty like this - for now, I live across the street from it all! :) And one day, my daughter will decide that bouncing around in her all-terrain carriage is worth staying up for and seeing some pretty darn beautiful stuff.
On our way back, off the path, we slowed down and traveled through the park. I got my daugther out of her carriage and let her walk a bit. She loves to watch the geese fly in their perfectly assembled patterns in the air. She points, smiles and goes on her way. She stops, and starts to sway. I begin to cry. She hears the church bells from across the way , she's dancing to them! She's noticed everything that's beautiful. It's a perfect day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here!